Wednesday, January 31, 2018

January 2018 Film Log

With the TV show having completed its run, I'm no longer obligated to catch as many of the new releases as possible, although let's face it, I'm still likely to try to keep up.  Nevertheless, I do feel as though I have more time to watch whatever strikes me, which wasn't always the case when producing a half-hour show focused on the latest offerings every two weeks.

I'm not always good about posting snap reactions about what I've seen on Twitter, and while I'm trying to resurrect my Letterboxd account, I tend to fall behind on updating it.  So, I'm going to make the effort to publish a monthly log here, if just for my own sake.

For ease of browsing, here's an alphabetical list of the films I saw in January 2018:

-12 Strong (Nicolai Fuglsig, 2018): C-

-Caddyshack (Harold Ramis, 1980): B -- HD stream

-Call Me by Your Name (Luca Guadagnino, 2017): A-  -- DVD

-The Commuter (Jaume Collet-Serra, 2018): B

-The Hidden (Jack Sholder, 1987): C+ -- HD recording

-Hostiles (Scott Cooper, 2017): C-

-Insidious: The Last Key (Adam Robitel, 2018): C

-Lady on a Train (Charles David, 1945): B+ -- HD recording

-Mary and the Witch's Flower (Meari to majo no hana) (Hiromasa Yonebayashi, 2017): C+

-Memories of Murder (Salinui chueok) (Bong Joon-ho, 2003): B+  -- HD stream

-Night of the Living Dead (George A. Romero, 1968): B+

-Paddington 2 (Paul King, 2017): A

-Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2017): A -- first and second viewings

-Proud Mary (Babak Najafi, 2018): D+

-Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson, 2017): A -- third viewing

-A Thousand Thoughts (Sam Green, 2018): A-

-Wormwood (Errol Morris, 2017): B+ -- HD stream

The top films new to me (current releases):

-Phantom Thread
-Paddington 2
-A Thousand Thoughts
-Call Me by Your Name
-Wormwood

The top films new to me (repertory):

-Memories of Murder (Salinui chueok)
-Night of the Living Dead
-Lady on a Train

Viewing locations & formats:

-Theatrical viewings: 12 (DCP: 12)
-Home viewings: 6 (HD streams: 3, HD recordings: 2, DVD: 1)
-Live performances: 1

Totals:

-# of screenings: 18
-# of films seen: 17
-# of films new to me: 16

One last and important piece of news: Paul Markoff and I have recorded our first three episodes of the new podcast.  Look for its launch early next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment