Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Some Random Musings

Is there any reason to watch the USA mini-series TRAFFIC (2004), which is based on the Steven Soderbergh film TRAFFIC (2000), which was based on the UK mini-series TRAFFIK (1989)? I considered tuning in but haven't felt like investing the time in what seems like a pointless endeavor. Here's one writer's opinion.

I heard the New Hampshire primary results on the radio as I drove home from THE PERFECT SCORE screening, so I didn't feel compelled to watch the cable news dissection of the vote. I should have tuned in to see if CNN and MSNBC were using the same titles they deployed in their coverage of the Iowa caucuses. One channel dubbed it "Battle in the Heartland" while the other used "Battle for the White House". Remember how after 9/11 some commentators thought that the use of military and war terms for sporting events and other non-combat happenings should be reconsidered. I think those days are over.

One of the worst lines I've heard in any movie of late is in the THE PERFECT SCORE. Erika Christensen plays the class salutatorian. She explains that she froze while taking the SAT because she "got caught up" in a word problem about a woman getting on a train at midnight and a man who boards three hours later. She wondered who the woman was, where she was going, and what she was feeling. I don't remember the exact line, but trust me, it is laugh out loud funny because her character is entirely serious.

I'm more interested in seeing SURVIVOR: ALL-STARS this Sunday than the Super Bowl. SURVIVOR: THE AUSTRALIAN OUTBACK'S Elisabeth and Rodger, two of my favorite Survivors, aren't participating, but Rupert, PEARL ISLANDS' real-life Hagrid, should be a lot of fun to watch.

I guess today's update features me channelling Larry King's USA Today column, minus the ellipses.

No comments:

Post a Comment